So, you think you might want a career in Information Technologies?
Computer & Network Operators establish, operate, maintain, and coordinate the use of local and wide area networks (LANs and WANs), mainframe networks, hardware, software and related computer equipment. Web Technicians set up and maintain Internet and intranet web sites and web server hardware and software, and monitor and optimize network connectivity and performance. They are employed in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors. Supervisors of computer and network operators and web technicians are included in this group.
Things that Computer & Network Operators and Web Technicians do at work are:
- Maintain, troubleshoot and administer the use of local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), mainframe networks and computer workstations and peripheral equipment.
- Evaluate and install computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks and to co-ordinate access and use of computer networks.
- Load computer tapes and disks and install software hardware.
- Provide problem-solving services to network users.
- Data, software and hardware security procedures. Perform routine network start up and close down and maintain control records.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Set up local area networks and connections to the internet.
- Implement network traffic and security monitoring software, and optimize server performance.
- Modify web pages, applets and scripts.
- Respond to requests for help and information from web site visitors and web site designers.
Salary & Job Information
For more information on how much Information Technologists make, the expected number of future job openings, where the jobs are and the current workforce opportunities specifically for this trade, visit the Work BC Career Profile here.
Completion of a college or other program in computer science, network administration, web technology or in a related field is usually required. Certification or training provided by software vendors may be required by some employers.