So, you think you might want a career in Industrial Technologies?
Industrial Technicians & Technologists work independently or in teams on the development of production methods, facilities and systems, and the planning, estimating, measuring and scheduling of work. They are employed by manufacturing and insurance companies, government departments and in other industries.
Things that Industrial Technicians & Technologists do at work are:
- Develop and conduct production, inventory and quality assurance programs in manufacturing or in other industries.
- Design plant layouts and production facilities.
- Develop and carry out work-study and related programs.
- Develop and carry out industrial health, safety and fire prevention plans and programs and conduct safety training programs.
- Develop applications using CAD/CAM (computer-assisted drafting, computer-assisted manufacturing) for the control of robots, computer numerical control (CNC) machines and other manufacturing processes and operations.
- Technologists and technicians in this unit group may specialize in the development of production processes, quality assurance programs, plans and schedules in a particular industrial area such as metal fabrication, plastics, pulp and paper, or textile manufacturing.
Salary & Job Information
For more information on how much Industrial Engineering or Manufacturing Technicians or Technologists make, the expected number of future job openings, where the jobs are and the current workforce opportunities specifically for this trade, visit the Work BC Career Profile here.
Completion of a two or three-year college program or equivalent in industrial engineering technology, pulp and paper technology, plastics technology, textile technology, manufacturing technology or in a related discipline is usually required for industrial engineering or manufacturing technologists.
Certification in industrial engineering or manufacturing technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations.
A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.